- Designing public spaces using Minecraft brings refugees and local communities...
- UN Habitat Commits to Implementing the Global Compact on Migration
- Residents, diplomats and UN-Habitat staff join hands to clean up Nairobi
- UN-Habitat Executive Director unveils Youth Declar-Action at the Sustainable...
- Blue economy forum will boost water’s potential
- Op-Ed By Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
- UN-Habitat leads Africities session on effective local government planning for...
- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
3.1. General concept
Monitoring and reporting on programme/project implementation and performance are key elements of results-based management, and components of the programme/project management cycle. Results-based management is concerned with both the achievement of results and the evidence-based measurement of these achievements. This section of the Handbook seeks to promote a common understanding of the key concepts, tools, steps and responsibilities for results based monitoring and reporting on the six-year strategic plan, the biennial work programme and budget, as well as projects in UN-Habitat. Its emphasis is on how to implement results-based monitoring and reporting at corporate or programme level.
Results-based monitoring and reporting are mandated functions of the United Nations Secretariat and the Governing Council of UN-Habitat. UN-Habitat monitors and reports progress on the implementation of the six-year strategic plan and on the biennial programme of work and budget, in response to various mandates and resolutions, including:
- The Secretary-General’s bulletin of 19 April 2000 entitled “Regulations and Rules Governing Programme Planning, the Programme Aspects of the Budget, the Monitoring of Implementation and the Methods of Evaluation” (ST/SGB/2000/8) and updated in 2016 as ST/SGB/2016/6.
- UN-Habitat Governing Council resolutions 22/7 April 2009, 23/11 April 2011, 24/15 of April, 2013 and 25/3 of April 2015 that request the Executive Director to report regularly to Member States through the Committee of Permanent Representatives and to the Governing Council, progress on the implementation of the strategic plan and the work programme and budget.