- Designing public spaces using Minecraft brings refugees and local communities...
- UN Habitat Commits to Implementing the Global Compact on Migration
- Residents, diplomats and UN-Habitat staff join hands to clean up Nairobi
- UN-Habitat Executive Director unveils Youth Declar-Action at the Sustainable...
- Blue economy forum will boost water’s potential
- Op-Ed By Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
- UN-Habitat leads Africities session on effective local government planning for...
- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
World Habitat Day
The United Nations has designated the first Monday of October of every year as World Habitat Day.
This year, World Habitat Day will be held on 7 October 2019. The purpose of World Habitat Day is to reflect on the state of our towns and cities, and on the basic right of all to adequate shelter. It is also intended to remind the world that we all have the power and the responsibility to shape the future of our cities and towns.
World Habitat Day was established in 1985 by the United Nations General Assembly through Resolution 40/202, and was first celebrated in 1986.
Each year, World Habitat Day takes on a new theme to bring attention to UN-Habitat’s mandate to promote sustainable development policies that ensure adequate shelter for all. This World Habitat Day will focus on promoting all levels of government and all relevant stakeholders to reflect on how to implement concrete initiatives to ensure adequate and affordable housing in the context of the implementation of the New Urban Agenda at all levels, as well as the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.
The global observation of the World Habitat Day 2019 will be hosted by the Government of Cameroon in the City of Yaoundé on 7 October this year. The theme will be “Frontier Technologies as an innovative tool to transform waste to wealth”. During World Habitat Day, UN-Habitat will award the UN-Habitat Scroll of Honour for best practices. More information will be made available soon.
Information on the previous World Habitat Day celebrations is available here.
Please feel free to contact us on our NEW email address: firstname.lastname@example.org