UN-Habitat supports the Kenya Municipal Programme
UN-Habitat is collaborating with the Kenya Municipal Program (KMP) in capacity building for Participatory Urban Planning in the country. The collaboration is targeted at towns in Cluster III (Machakos, Thika, Embu) and Cluster IV (Naivasha, Nakuru, Nyeri ) of the Municipal Programme and aims to support the Government of Kenya to:
- Facilitate participatory preparation and implementation of local area development plans for urban and their peri-urban areas
- Establish an effective coordinating mechanism for the preparation and implementation of plans, and for development control by the urban/county governments and relevant agencies.
- Encourage sustainable, integrated and compact planning, and development of land and the environment within urban areas.
As part of this support, UN-Habitat has organized a series of workshops for local county leaders titled Providing local leaders and decision makers with the tools and approaches to support INTEGRATED STRATEGIC URBAN DEVELOPMENT PLANS The key objectives of the workshop are:
- Equipping leaders of respective county with basic knowledge on urban planning instruments and strategic leadership skills to address key planning challenges related to sustainable urban development, and to be able to assist on-going KMP planning exercises.
- Presenting different case studies on selected urban planning issues in different cities to create a platform for dialogue and to find optimum solutions that can resonate with each county.
- Imparting the requisite skills to address existing planning challenges and generate initiatives and action plans
Workshop 1: UN-Habitat Special Session with Kenya Municipal Programme, August 25, 2014, UN Gigiri Complex, Nairobi.Participants: Members of County Assembly from Embu, Machakos, Nakuru, Nyeri, ThikaWorkshop 2: One-Day County Learning Session, August 28 2014, UN Gigiri Complex, NairobiParticipants: Local county leaders including town planners from Embu, Machakos, Naivasha, Nakuru, Nyeri, ThikaWorkshop 3 and 4 (Rapid Planning Studios)Two-Day Rapid Planning Studio 2 for the towns of Embu, Machakos, Thika on September 2 and 3, 2014Two-Day Rapid Planning Studio 1 for the towns of Naivasha, Nakuru, Nyeri on September 4 and 5, 2014Participants: Local county leaders including town planners from Embu, Machakos, Naivasha, Nakuru, Nyeri, Thika