Call for Expressions of Interest for Cooperation Partners for Agreement of Cooperation: Cooperation Partners for Agreement of Cooperation
|Download as PDF here|
United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)
Call for Expressions of Interest (EoI) for Cooperation Partners for Agreement of Cooperation
“Reclaiming space for pedestrians: Better Street Design in Ruiru, Kenya
Date first published: 20 May 2016
Deadline for submissions of EoIs: 3 June 2016
UN-Habitat is supporting development of a Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan (SUMP) focusing on Ruiru town, Kiambu County, Kenya. The objectives of the SUMP is among other things to support Kiambu County in creating an urban transport system which ensures all citizens are offered transport options that enable access to key destinations and services; improving safety and security; and contributing to enhancing the attractiveness and quality of the urban environment and urban design for the benefits of citizens, the economy and society as a whole. This work is being complemented with an initiative on “Reclaiming space for pedestrians: Better Street Design in Ruiru”. This initiative will build on ongoing UN-Habitat supported activities in Ruiru Town and result in the implementation of a demonstration mobility corridor show-casing how participatory approaches in planning in combination with site-specific technical solutions can result in greater accessibility and increase in social interaction and economic activities.
- Scope of Agreement of Cooperation
UN-Habitat invites Expressions of Interest from academic or research institutions; Not-for-Profit Organizations; Governmental and Inter-Governmental organizations for an Agreement of Cooperation (AOC) that will cover the following broad tasks:
- Selection of suitable streets and public spaces to demonstrate innovative and participatory approaches to street and public space design;
- Undertaking site-specific design of street/public space elements to improve pedestrian and cyclist safety, accessibility and street-vending, ensuring community participation in the design process;
- Supervising implementation of the physical elements e.g. footpaths, “table-top” pedestrian crossings, parklets, access ramps etc. and ensuring appropriate distribution of space among different users;
- Undertaking direct implementation of some selected physical features taking into consideration the multi-functional use of streets and the diverse users’ needs; e.g better designed pedestrian crossings, space for street vending, places for rest, signage, safety, etc. ;
- Preparing a guideline for low-cost solutions to better design of streets as public space in the specific context of Kenya but also applicable in other countries.
The EOI should contain, but not be limited to the following:
- Overall experience of the organization in the area of Road Safety, Public Transport and Non-motorized transport, Street Design and ;
- A short conceptual proposal on how the organization plans to develop and implement this initiative including scope and nature of work;
- The support/ contribution the organization is willing to make including cash and in kind; (contribution in terms of staff time, office space and equipment and other support in cash and in-kind should be expressed in monetary terms.)
- Copies of statement of annual budget and annual reports of the previous 5 years;
- Copy of two latest audited reports, and
- Governance and organizational structure; experience and qualifications of key professional staff and infrastructure facilities of the organization.
UN-Habitat will contribute financial resources in the range of USD 100,000 to USD 150,000 towards this Agreement of Cooperation (only for Academic institutions, Not for Profit, Governmental and Inter-Governmental Organisations).
- Overall Timeframe
The work outlined in this EOI is scheduled to commence by 30 June 2016 and completed within six months.
- Contact Information and Application Deadline
Expression of Interest must be delivered in electronic format addressed for the attention of the Human Settlements Officer, Lead Urban Mobility Unit no later than 03 June 2016 to the e-mail address given below:
Urban Basic Services Branch
United Nations Human Settlements Programme
P.O. Box 30030, Nairobi, Kenya
Please note that this EOI notice does not constitute a solicitation. UN-Habitat reserves the right to change or cancel this requirement at any time in the Expressions of Interest/or solicitation process.
Submitting a reply to an EOI does not guarantee that a Cooperation Partner will be considered for receipt of the solicitation when issued and only Cooperation Partners who are deemed qualified by UN-Habitat upon completion of evaluation of submission, will receive the final solicitation document.