Call for Expressions of Interest (EOI) for Regional Office for Africa and the Arab States (ROAAS):
United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)
Regional Office for Africa and the Arab States (ROAAS)
Call for Expressions of Interest (EOI) from qualified and duly registered local and international NGOs
Date of publication: Tuesday, 19 May 2015
- Project background
The UN-Habitat Somalia Programme is seeking EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (EOI) from:
- Qualified and duly registered local and international Non Profit Organisations
For the implementation of supplementary activities within the overall framework of the UN Joint Programme for Local Governance and Decentralised Service Delivery (JPLG).
Somaliland and Puntland, among other regions of Somalia, have been attempting to respond and adapt to the devastating effects of a twenty-year long conflict, and the compounding ramifications that insecurity, natural disasters, droughts and famines have had over public administration, institutions, social fabric, and urban infrastructure. Land and natural resources were central issues at stake during the conflict and the have again become key during the recovery phase. The main factors that are contributing to make land a contentious issue in Somaliland and Puntland are: population movements and returns, unregulated processes of urbanization, poor or non existent land information management systems and equally inadequate legislations and land administrative frameworks.
With the ultimate objective of building capacity of schools of law in local universities, UN-Habitat is seeking professional services to (i) deliver training to local universities (Training of Trainers) on designing certificate programmes and university curricula on land governance, administration and management university curriculum; (ii) select University partners to design and deliver such activities.
The land certificate programmes are particularly addressed to professionals in public national and local administrations, namely in the Ministries of:
- Interior Affairs
- Rural Development and Environment
- Public Works and Transport
The certificate programmes will equally target officials in the municipalities and local government, as well as members of the Police and judicial branches.
The land curricula target students who intend to pursue a career in the public civil service, in legal affairs or in academia.
The ultimate goal of these activities is to enhance the capacity of current (and future) civil servants to support land policy processes and formulation of land related legislation.
Duration: 6 months, tentative starting date June 20th, 2015.
Geographical coverage: Somaliland and Puntland
Activities and submission of proposals:
Depending on the capacity of the bidders to develop and implement activities, proposals may be designed and submitted for either Somaliland or Puntland, or both.
The geographical scope must be clearly specified in the submissions.
The list of activities comprises of the following:
- Developing training materials and conduct Training of Trainers addressed to local academic centres on how to develop and deliver land certificate programmes
- Developing training materials for land certificate programmes
- Developing curricular programmes on land governance management and administration to be delivered in national Universities in Somaliland and/or Puntland (duration: one semester)
- Delivering land certificate programme and land curricula modules (one semester)
- Conducting exams and award certificates
- Holding certificates award ceremony
- Raising awareness about the modules (both certificates and curricula)
- Establishing a network of Universities in Somaliland and Puntland interested in the adoption of curricula and certificate programmes
- Organising workshops or conferences, if required.
- Requirements from Partners
Interested local Non-Profit Organisations and should submit a cover letter (Expression of Interest) and the following supporting documents:
- Concept note, comprising a sustainability strategy for the project (5 pages max), detailed timeline for implementation of the activities and budget (excel);
- A copy of the constitution and/or by-laws of the organization, and a copy of the registration/incorporation of the entity as applicable;
- Organizational profile (showed by brochure or website);
- List of its professional staff and their CVs;
- The purpose or mandate of the organization – thematic areas of work (if applicable);
- List of completed projects, including project description, client, amount of contract, implementation period;
- Information identifying the programmes and activities of the organization in the field Land, Land Governance, Land Administration;
- Confirmation of the completed activities of the organization at the local, national, regional and/or international levels / Reference Letters;
- Copies of annual (or other) reports of the organization for the past two years, with financial statements and a list of financial sources and contributions, including government contributions for the past two years;
- A list of current members of the governing body of the organization, and their countries of nationality;
- Proof of functional project office or project facilities, project history and operational capacity in Somaliland and Puntland;
Interested parties should email their Expression of Interest and supporting documents (PDF format, preferably) to email@example.com cc firstname.lastname@example.org before 31 May 2015, 12.00hrs.
Expressions of interest should be referenced as “Expression of Interest – Land Certificate and Land Curricula Project”
Successful applicants will be invited for further discussions on possible involvement in the project.